Exam preparation: IELTS Speaking Exam
Sample speaking tasks for IELTS exam. There are three parts to this exam. You are given the opportunity to speak about different topics and to use a wide range of language. It is essential you practise for the three parts of the exam as they require different communication skills and test your ability.
Speaking sample task 1 11-14 minutes
Part 1 Introduction and interview
[This part of the test begins with the examiner introducing himself or herself and
checking the candidate’s identification. It then continues as an interview.]
Let’s talk about your home town or village.
• What kind of place is it?
• What’s the most interesting part of your town/village?
• What kind of jobs do the people in your town/village do?
• Would you say it’s a good place to live? (Why?)
Let’s move on to talk about accommodation.
• Tell me about the kind of accommodation you live in?
• How long have you lived there?
• What do you like/not like about living there?
• What sort of accommodation would you most like to live in? Why?
Speaking sample task – Part 2 3-4 minutes ( including preparation time)
Part 2 – Individual long turn
Candidate Task Card Describe something you own which is very important to you.
You should say:
where you got it from
how long you have had it
what you use it for
and explain why it is important to you.
You will have to talk about the topic for 1 to 2 minutes.
You have one minute to think about what you're going to say.
You can make some notes to help you if you wish.
Speaking sample task – Part 3 4-5 minutes
Part 3 – Two-way discussion
Let’s consider first of all how people’s values have changed.
• What kind of things give status to people in your country?
• Have things changed since your parents’ time?
Finally, let’s talk about the role of advertising.
• Do you think advertising influences what people buy?